AW: Capabilities: Summary

hi bernard,

in a discussion with jouni i was told that in the 3GPP Rel-6 I-WLAN
deployment scenario eap is mandatory.
for the GSMA IR.61 WLAN roaming scenario a challenge is not mandated but
the specification requires that location information is sent to the home
network. as such, there is no "capability negotiation" there. the work
in wimax is in progress and therefore this issues can be dealt with.

for a further comment please see below:

> > > a) problems seem to appear if the nas does not support
> the challenge.
> > > then the challenge will be treated as a reject.
> >
> >Yes.  However, we know that the RADIUS EAP method requires support in
> >the NAS for challenges.  Are there any deployment scenarios
> of interest
> >for GEOPRIV that expect to use the RADIUS PAP or CHAP
> methods?  If not,
> >this may well be a moot point.
>
> PAP implementations may well support challenges, since the
> User-Password
> attribute has been used with token cards.
>
> In any case, the issue only arises with NASes that don't
> support GEOPRIV,
> since presumably ones that do will support Challenges.  In
> the case of
> legacy devices that support neither GEOPRIV nor Challenges,
> the issue is
> moot, because treating the Challenge as an Access-Reject is
> the desired
> result.

this was actually one of the last bullets in my summary. in the usage
scenario avi described the outcome of this interaction would not be
equal to an access-reject. instead the aaa server would just grant
access to the basic services and access to enhanced services is offered
only if location information is provided.

ciao
hannes