RE: Issue 113: Attribute Concatenation

> >         As per the requirements of RFC 2865, Section 2.3,
> if multiple
> >         QoS-Filter-Rule attributes are contained within an Access-
> >         Request or Access-Accept packet, they MUST be maintained in
> >         order. The attributes MUST be consecutive attributes in the
> >         packet. RADIUS proxies MUST NOT reorder QoS-Filter-Rule
> >         attributes.
>
> I think the relevant section of RFC 2865 is Section 5, and it states:
>
>    If multiple Attributes with the same Type are present, the order of
>    Attributes with the same Type MUST be preserved by any
> proxies.  The
>    order of Attributes of different Types is not required to be
>    preserved.  A RADIUS server or client MUST NOT have any
> dependencies
>    on the order of attributes of different types.  A RADIUS server or
>    client MUST NOT require attributes of the same type to be
> contiguous.
>
> So I see two issues. 1: the conflict between the "consecutive
> attributes" requirement and the last sentence of the text
> quoted above, and 2. it would probably be clearer if the
> reference pointed to Section
> 5 (Attributes) instead of section 2.3 (Proxy behaviour).

Yes, what is important is that the order is maintained, not that the
attributes are consecutive.  Since this sentence is in direct conflict
with 2865, we need to remove it.  Also I agree that Section 5 appears to
be the better reference.  The last paragraph should read:

       As per the requirements of RFC 2865, Section 5, if multiple
       QoS-Filter-Rule attributes are contained within an Access-
       Request or Access-Accept packet, they MUST be maintained in
       order. RADIUS proxies MUST NOT reorder QoS-Filter-Rule
       attributes.

I'm still working on a response to the rest of Glen's comments...

Paul