RE: Issue 113: Attribute Concatenation

> > Responding to Greg's issue 113...
> >
> >> I didn't understand how the language in section 3.6 about
> >> concatenating
> >
> >> QoS-Filter-Rule(s) works.  If these are simply
> concatenated, how does
> >> an implementation distinguish between multiple 'small'
> >> QoS-Filter-Rules
> >
> >> and a single larger attribute?  What if I want to send one
> >> QoS-Filter-Rule which spans 253, followed by one which does not?
> >
> > Actually I believe the editorial note needs to be removed
> since there
> > is text just after the note that explains the problem.  As
> you know,
> > Diameter attributes may be larger than what will fit in the Radius
> > attribute so we need to support fragmentation and reassembly in the
> > general sense.
>
> Actually, Diameter AVPs can be larger than a RADIUS
> _message_.  If you really want to support fragmentation and
> reassembly in the general sense, then you need to deal with that, too.

I probably should have been more clear about using the words 'general
sense'.  All we are talking about is the string in the Qos-Filter-Rule
that might be too large to fit in the current Radius version of the
attribute.  I am under the assumption that handling this type of
scenario is common practice in Radius/Diameter proxies and that is has
been documented in a previous RFC, but perhaps I'm wrong on this.

I still think the existing text explains the issue and solution fairly
clearly:

         The Text field contains a QoS filter, utilizing the syntax
         defined for the QoSFilterRule derived data type defined in
         [RFC3588], Section 4.3.  Note that this definition contained an

         error, so that the complete syntax is described in the
         definition of the QoS-Filter-Rule AVP, defined in [NASREQ].

         The RADIUS server can return multiple QoS-Filter-Rule
         attributes in an Access-Accept or CoA-Request packet. Where
         more than one QoS-Filter-Rule Rule attribute is included, it is

         assumed that the attributes are to be concatenated to form a
         single QOS filter.

         Whereas the maximum allowable message size in [NASREQ] is
         greater than RADIUS' maximum allowable message size, it is
         assumed that QOS filters that exceed RADIUS' allowable message
         size will be broken into multiple QoS-Filter-Rule attributes by

         the RADIUS server and concatenated back into a single QOS
         filter by the NAS.

         As per the requirements of RFC 2865, Section 2.3, if multiple
         QoS-Filter-Rule attributes are contained within an Access-
         Request or Access-Accept packet, they MUST be maintained in
         order. The attributes MUST be consecutive attributes in the
         packet. RADIUS proxies MUST NOT reorder QoS-Filter-Rule
         attributes.