Review of draft-lior-radext-end-to-end-caps-01.txt

I object to taking on the End-to-End Capabilities document as a RADEXT WG
work item. The document doesn’t properly define the problem and the proposed solution
is excessively complex and is not compatible with existing mechanisms in Diameter.

When adding new features, the RADEXT WG needs to try and maintain the simplicity of
RADIUS as I believe that this has accounted for much of its success.  Questions
like “is this feature necessary at all?"  And “can this feature be done in a simple way?”
should be answered first.

RADIUS is a simple protocol, and has existed without capability negotiation since its
inception. A very good case has to be made for adding this capability at this time,
especially in the complex manner that’s being proposed.   The document does not
make the case for the major changes it is proposing.  In fact, many of the problems
it defines do not exist and many of the features it attempts to add duplicate existing
RADIUS functionality.

As a result, I believe that the WG should discard the End-to-End Capabilities document,
since its approach is so inherently complex and flawed that it cannot be fixed by
accepting the document as a WG work item.

A couple of specific problems, in addition to the unconvincing motivation are:

* The alternative mechanisms for detecting RFC 3576 support, something that
is already handled in RFC 3576.

* The use of capabilities negotiation for optional attributes.  RADIUS implementations
have handled optional attributes for years, so this is unnecessary.

* Retroactive changes to the behaviour of existing RADIUS implementations.

* Creation of a registry for Capability IDs, including capabilities that don't
exist in RADIUS RFCs.  This will cause interoperability problems -
RADIUS requires that VSAs be treated as optional so as to allow interoperability
between vendor implementations.

* Incompatibility with the Diameter optional/mandatory attribute marking.
The document doesn't even have a Diameter compatibility section.

I can go on to list all the objections to this document, all the unnecessarily
functionality, the confused problem statement, etc.  But that is hardly necessary;
other participants in the WG have already stated those objections during previous
discussions, more eloquently than I can.  In fact, looking back at previous
RADEXT WG discussion which started in January 2005, it appears that many of
these issues were brought up before. Looking back at the discussion, it appears
that WG consensus previously existed to adopt an alternative (simpler) approach.
So why is it being brought back again?

I have to wonder "How can this document even be considered as a WG work item
given the volume and seriousness of the criticisms that have been leveled
 against it?" And how can the RADEXT WG be bringing to WG last call
documents that have so many problems, such as the VLAN and Filters draft?

In its consideration of new WG items, the RADEXT WG seems to be asking the
wrong questions.  The right question isn't "Are there any objections?"
but rather "Is there WG consensus that this document is an appropriate solution
to a real problem, and are there a significant base of vendors who consider this
functionality necessary and who will implement it?"