Re: Issue: Radius Digest, both modes of operation should be mandatory

Wolfgang:

I didn't take the same approach for the analysis. Instead, I thought that if you are doing an interoperability test between two independently developped implementations, one implementation might have implemented a Radius client that supports only nonces generated in the Radius client and the other implementation might have implemented a Radius server that only supports nonces generated in the Radius server.

Both implementation will be compliant to your draft, but unable to interoperate. And will not be able to recover from any error.

To me this is a severe design failure, and I am trying to avoid it. I think that the burden of implementing support for both modes of operation is almost negligible compared to the burden of not being able to interoperate. So for the sake of interoperability I would suggest to mandate the support for both modes of operation in both RADIUS clients and servers.

/Miguel

Beck01, Wolfgang wrote:

What scenarios do we have?

1) plain IETF SIP providers, web servers, using HTTP Digest
- client-side nonce generation is sufficient

2) plain IETF SIP providers, web servers, using AKA Digest
- server-side nonce generation is required

3) providers using Diameter servers
- server-side nonce generation is required, as Diameter does not (yet?) support
client-side nonce generation.

4) 3GPP2 IMS
- client-side nonce generation is required

Will there be mixed environments?

A) RADIUS clients connected to distinct service providers (RADIUS roaming using NAI)
- This is unlikely in SIP/HTTP environments, as RADIUS is not used for layer 2
access authentication here. A user can access directly his SIP/HTTP server.
This is different from the classical RADIUS use.

In IMS -- where there is a coupling between SIP and lower layers --, roaming
is done on the the SIP level. As far as I know, there is no RADIUS or Diameter
connection between different IMS providers.

B) A provider changes its equipment gradually from plain HTTP digest to AKA digest.

In the case of Digest Authentication, RADIUS clients are never talking to RADIUS
or Diameter servers of a different provider.

My feeling is that there will be providers that will never bother about server-side
nonce generation. Others will never consider client-side nonce generation. Mandating
both modes will only complicate the initial configuration for them.

What does the group think?

Wolfgang

--
T-Systems