Re: Issue: Technical comments on draft-ietf-radext-ieee802-00.txt

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:45:35AM -0400, Nelson, David wrote:

> Submitter name: David Nelson
> Submitter email address: dnelson@enterasys.com
> Date first submitted: August 10, 2005
> Reference: (missing from the RADEXT archive ???)
> Document: VLAN, Priority and Filtering Attributes
> Comment type: 'T' Technical
> Section: 3.1
> Rationale/Explanation of issue:
>
> Integer
>
>          The Integer field is four octets in length.  The format of the
>          Integer field consists of two parts, the first consuming high-
>          order octet and the second consuming the remaining three lower-
>          order octets.  The high-order octet field indicates if the
>          VLANID is allowed for tagged or untagged packets.  The second
>          part is the 12-bit 802.1Q VLAN VID value that has been padded
>          out to consume the remaining three lower-order octets.  A
>          sample encoding follows:
>

> This is not an Integer data type.  It is a multi-field Octet String
> (complex data type).
>
> Requested changes:
>
> Express a String data type (with sub-fields).

Disagree. Integers are not monotonic counters only. If two integers need
to be tied together, are of fixed length and together fit in 4 octets, I
see no reason not to use RADIUS integers.

What's next, sending IPv4 addresses as a complex type consisting of 4
decimal variable length strings?

I know we've always used a dedicated label for IP addresses in RADIUS
dicationaries, but they are encoded and can be handled exactly the same
as integers everywhere in the server, up to the point where you reach
the very end of the chain, in modules that deal with ASCII
representations.

Cheers,

Emile.
--