Re: It's all in the timing...

"Nelson, David" <dnelson@enterasys.com> wrote:
> I have a general concern, or meta-issue, to raise regarding the WGLC of
> draft-ietf-radext-ieee802-00.txt.  The VLAN, Priority and Filtering
> Attributes draft proposes new RADIUS attributes of base data type String
> (Octet String) that are, in fact, multi-field structures a.k.a. complex
> data types.

  Like ARAP-Features, Login-LAT-Group, Framed-Appletalk-Link,
Framed-Appletalk-Zone ...

> My frustration is that I don't see a good solution.  The Design
> Guidelines for RADIUS Attributes must be given time to mature and obtain
> consensus.  It does not seem reasonable to delay the VLAN, Priority and
> Filtering Attributes draft until the design guidelines are ready.  I
> guess the best I can hope for is that work on the design guidelines
> progresses rapidly, and that any substantial disconnects between the
> design guidelines and the VLAN, Priority and Filtering Attributes draft
> can be reconciled before it goes out for IETF Last Call.

  Sure.

  I also have no objection to publishing the VLAN... draft without the
benefit of the final Design Guidelines draft.  There are already
complex data types in RADIUS attributes, so adding a few more
shouldn't be a serious problem.