Re: [RADIUS FIXES] Authorize Only

"Avi Lior" <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why you would say it's a vendor-specific value of
> Service-Type.

  See:

http://www.freeradius.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/radiusd/share/dictionary.bay?rev=1.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

  Look for "Service-Type".  Vendor-specific values are of the form
((vendor-id << 16) | num), One of the RFC's refers to this practice,
but I can't recall which right now.

> Thanx for the support.  I don't agree that the use of Authorize-Only
> should be discouraged though.  It has tremendous use for allowing the
> NAS and Server to manage an already established session without the need
> for re-authentication.

  I agree.  My only point of discussion is what should the name be,
and should we re-use an existing value.

> I would perfer that RADIUS issues and fixes provide guidelines on how to
> use Authorize-Only.

  I agree.

> I would have rather had the following Service-Type:
>
> Re-Authorize:  this is what 3576 should be using.  It completely
> re-triggers the re-authorization of the session.

  That's reasonable, but I don't think you're proposing to change RFC
3576.

> Authorize-Only: is used the way I describe.  We do not completely
> reauthorize the session but rather the context of what is being
> reauthorized is determined from the contents of the packet.  It still
> must be bound to an Authenticated Session or entity.
> The binding being the same or similar to 3576.

  Then I have few problems with re-using the name.

> Note:  if someone can propose a new Service-Type value to achieve the
> same then I would be for that.  Although I belive there is already an
> specification for Authorize-Only outside the IETF.

  All the more reason to use vendor-specific values, so
vendor-specific practices don't re-use existing definitions.