From: Saikrishnan [mailto:saig@cisco.com]
Sent: Thu 7/14/2005 9:47 AM
To: cdr@telemancy.com; ward@cyno.com; Glen Zorn
Cc: dnelson@enterasys.com; Bernard Aboba
Subject: RFC 2869 and draft-aboba-radext-fixes-00.txt

Hi,

In section 2.1 of RFC 2869, it is mentioned that the interim-accounting-interval
coming from the RADIUS server is superceded by the local config on the
NAS.

Pl. find below the snippet.

-----

 2.1.  RADIUS support for Interim Accounting Updates

   When a user is authenticated, a RADIUS server issues an Access-Accept
   receive interim accounting messages for the given user it must
   include the Acct-Interim-Interval RADIUS attribute in the message,
   which indicates the interval in seconds between interim messages.

   It is also possible to statically configure an interim value on the
   NAS itself. Note that a locally configured value on the NAS MUST
   override the value found in an Access-Accept.

----

But in terms of priority it makes more sense for the finer granularity
config overriding the global config. For instance, if you want to apply
an umbrella policy that all the sessions are done periodic accounting every
30 mins but for Jane's session, we need to do periodic accounting every
45 mins, the only way for provisioning this is by adding 45' to Jane's
user profile.

But the RFC MUSTs it out. I am copying the authors for clarification.

Please note that in all the other attributes in Cisco IOS, the PER-USER
attribute (the attribute defined in the user profile) overrides what is
configured globally on the box. At minimum, this should be left for
implementation. Pl. let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks and Warm regards
sai.