Re: RFC 2486bis issue: "Decorated" NAIs and IDN support

Yes, that's right. But what we really need is an instruction
that says "if you use the ! notation in the way described in
Section X, then you need to convert the realms first to IDN-unaware
ascii strings". It seems that this could be done with or without
explicit ABNF. Pasi argument below seems to call for making
this requirement outside the ABNF....

Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com wrote:

Actually, not including the realm!user@otherrealm in the ABNF was intentional (and we discussed this in June 2004).

The rationale was that using the "!" notation is not required.
So, for instance, if some realm uses usernames that have "!" in them (which is allowed by RFC 2486), that is still allowed by 2486bis. Since using this syntax is totally optional, it should
not be hard-coded to the ABNF that applies to all NAIs.
(And besides, making this change would not actually change the set of strings that match the ABNF...)

BR,
Pasi