Proposed Resolution to Issue 25: Issues with IEEE 802 Extensions Draft

  Once the proposed text included below is added to the draft, and my
one-sentence comment added[1], I agree that the issues is resolved.

   Alan DeKok.
[1] See the last line of this message.

"Sanchez, Mauricio (PNB Roseville)" <mauricio.sanchez@hp.com> wrote:
> > > 2.1.  Egress-VLANID
> >
> >   The text following this doesn't define the attribute
> > format, or where the VLANID goes.  ASCII art would be appreciated.
>
> Propose following text:
>
> "The Integer field is four octets in length.  The format of the Integer
> field consists of two parts, the first consuming high-order octet and
> the second consuming the remaining three lower-order octets.  The
> high-order octet field indicates if the VLANID is allowed for tagged or
> untagged packets.  The second part is the 12-bit 802.1Q VLAN VID value
> that has been padded out to consume the remaining three lower-order
> octets.  A sample encoding follows:
>
> 	 0                   1                   2                   3
>     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>    |  Tag Option   |      Pad (12-bit)     |       VLANID (12-bit) |
>
>    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>     Values for the Tag Option part include:
> 	      1 = Tagged
>    	   2 = Untagged
>
> 		Padding bits SHOULD be 0 (zero).
>
> 		VLANID is the 12-bit 802.1Q-2003 VID value. "
>

> >   Section 1.2 talks about possibly using the "extended attribute"
> > format, and says that the following lengths are calculated
> > using the short form.  If so, for consistency, ASCII art of
> > the attributes showing the short form would be good, even if
> > there isn't consensus that it's the proper format to use.
>

> All usage of extended attributes have been completely removed from
> draft.
>

> >   Also, the data types are "Integer32" and "UInt32".  Are
> > these RADIUS types, or new types?  It should be clarified as
> > to where these types come from.
>
> All non-traditional datatypes have been removed and replaced with a
> traditional RFC2865 datatypes.
>

> > >2.3.  VLAN-Name
> > >
> > >   Description
> > >      The VLAN-Name attribute contains two parts; the first
> > part is the
> > >      VLAN name, the second part indicates if frames on the VLAN for
> > >      this port are to be represented in tagged or untagged format.
> >
> >   I suggest arranging the attribute so that the "tagged/untagged"
> > information is at the same offset in the attribute as the
> > Egress-VLANID attribute.  Putting the value after
> > variable-length "String" data makes it harder to parse.
> > Putting the value in a different place than in the
> > Egress-VLANID attribute creates more "special-case"
> > considerations in the code.
>
> Suggestion taken. Propose following format:
>
> "The first octet of this string indicates whether the frames on the VLAN
> are tagged 0x01 or Untagged 0x02.  The remaining octets represent the
> VLAN Name as defined in 802.1Q-2003 clause 12.10.2.1.3 (a).  UTF-8
> encoded 10646 characters are recommended, but a robust implementation
> SHOULD support the field as undistinguished octets."
>

> > > 2.4.  User-Priority-Table
> [...]

  And 8 bits reserved bits, which SHOULD be zero.