Re: Issue 79; digest-auth realm validation

I have a question:

What is the intention of this text:

   "The RADIUS server considers this client as
   compromised. "

What is this consideration? Is it that the RADIUS server marks "something" as "not being able to use the HTTP or SIP service any longer"?

I hope it does not mean that the RADIUS server marks the user in a black list or something similar.

I hope also that we can focus on the technical aspects of the protocol, and leave the issue of alarms, sirens, urgent e-mails and alike for the designers of products. I am not referring to this other paragraph:

   "It notifies the operator and rejects all future
   requests from this client, until some management action tells it to
   do so again."

/Miguel

Beck01, Wolfgang wrote:

Here's a complete text proposal:

   The RADIUS server MUST check if the user identified by the User-Name
   attribute
   o  is authorized to access the protection space defined by the
      Digest-URI and Digest-Realm attributes,
   o  is authorized to use the URI included in the SIP-AOR attribute, if
      this attribute is present.
   If any of those checks fails, the RADIUS server MUST send an
   Access-Reject.

   Correlation between User-Name and SIP-AOR AVP values is required just
   to avoid that any user can register or misuse a SIP-AOR allocated to
   another user.

   A RADIUS server MUST check if the RADIUS client is authorized to
   serve users of the realm mentioned in the Digest-Realm attribute.  If
   the RADIUS client is not authorized, the RADIUS server sends an
   Access-Reject.  The RADIUS server considers this client as
   compromised.  It notifies the operator and rejects all future
   requests from this client, until some management action tells it to
   do so again.

Please send me a note if you have objections/additions about this text so
we can close the issue.

Wolfgang

--
T-Systems
Next Generation IP Services and Systems

-- Miguel A. Garcia tel:+358-50-4804586 Nokia Research Center Helsinki, Finland