RE: Comments on draft-carroll-dynmobileip-cdma-04.txt

Avi Lior <> supposedly scribbled:

_This document is practically a textbook example of how _not_ to use
RADIUS.  Can the note say that?

> I support David's approach.

P.;
>> gerry.flynn@verizonwireless.com; radiusext@ops.ietf.org
>> Subject: RE: Comments on draft-carroll-dynmobileip-cdma-04.txt
>>

>> Frank Quick writes...
>>
>>> This sounds very reasonable, but I think it actually goes beyond
the
>>> context of this draft.  I believe there is no clear statement of
>>> this policy that the draft can reference, and it is not a good
idea
>>> for a draft of this nature to create new policy.  For this draft
>>> maybe it is enough that we state that RFC 2865 forbids VSA in
>>> Access-Reject, and that future work should consider using
>>> Access-Challenge instead.  That would avoid having to discuss
the
>>> semantics issue in the draft.
>>
>> It is apparent that there is some disagreement within the RADIUS
>> community within IETF about the usage of Access-Reject.  The
areas of
>> disagreement cover whether Access-Reject implies link-layer
>> disconnect and when Access-Reject or Access-Challenge is
appropriate
>> (or permissible).  In RADEXT, we have added this set of issues to
be
>> considered in our RADIUS Issues and Fixes I-D.   Given this lack
of
>> clear consensus, it might be advisable to craft an IESG note
along
>> the lines that Frank describes.  Future RFCs may provide more
>> definitive guidance in this area.  Understanding that, it is
>> appropriate to discourage new work using *this* document as a
>> precedent.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel