From: owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org
[mailto:owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org]On Behalf Of ext Bernard Aboba
Sent: 29 January, 2005 02:37
To: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: [Issue] RFC 3576 Usage of Message-Authenticator

RFC 3576 calculation of the Request and Response Authenticator is modelled
after RFC 2866 (RADIUS Accounting). However, the Message-Authenticator
attribute is not allowed in Accounting-Request and Accounting-Response
messages, because these messages do not contain a random Request
Authenticator, as specified in RFC 3579:

     Message-Authenticator = HMAC-MD5 (Type, Identifier, Length,
     Request Authenticator, Attributes)

It therefore would appear that a Message-Authenticator attribute is not
allowed in CoA-Request, CoA-ACK, CoA-NAK, Disconnect-Request,
Disconnect-ACK or Disconnect-NAK messages.

This is contrary to the table in Section 3.2, which has the following
entry for both CoA and Disconnect messages:

  Request   ACK      NAK   #   Attribute
  0-1       0-1      0-1  80   Message-Authenticator

Proposed Resolution:

My proposal is that we submit an errata to RFC 3576, changing the "0-1"
entries to "0" entries.