RE: Response to Issue 46 - status so far

Based on our discussion so far, we have agreed to make the following
clarification on the use-case currently included in the document.

"
The CUI attribute serves as an alias to the user's real identity,
representing a chargeable identity as defined and provided by the home
network as a supplemental or alternative information to User-Name(1).
Typically the CUI represents the identity of the actual user but it may
also indicate other chargeable identities such as a group of users.
"

To best of my knowledge, there hasn't been any other use-cases proposed
to the list.  We are planning to submit an update this week -- please
let us know if you have any new use-cases in mind.

BR,
Farid

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Adrangi, Farid wrote:

> Background:
> ===========
> The CUI document define a new RADIUS attribute called a CUI.  The CUI
> functions as an handle or an alias to a user identity especially when
> the more traditional user identity attributes (username) do not convey
> the user identity.  The draft cites one example when this happens
mainly
> EAP methods that hide that hide the identity.
>
> As per the document, the CUI is assigned a value by the home network
so
> that entities outside the home network, can have a handle to the user
> fulfill certain business scenarios.  The document cites two cases: 1)
> when an intermediary requires to ensure that a user is only logged in
> once; and 2) For the purpose of billing mediation.
>
> To function as a handle to the user identity, it is suffice that the
CUI
> which is of type string contain an opaque value that is generated by
the
> home network.  This value is an assertion by the home network that
> represents a unique user in their network.  The only operation that is
> reasonably allowed to be performed by none home network entities on
this
> attribute therefore is a binary comparison.
>
> Are there other use-cases?
>
> As instructed by David Nelson we are seeking any other use-case
> scenarios that would demonstrate the need to change the content of the
> CUI, that is would require non-opaqueness; Or ones that would require
> semantic changes to the current document.   We are not looking for use
> cases that will further support the current CUI document.
>
> If there are such use cases, can you please respond with: "[CUI
USECASE]