RE: Proposal: Capabilities Attribute

Hi Barney,

> This is exactly what I was ranting against.  If you're gonna
> support prepaid, either do both or don't support it.  As for
> command support, I might do that with virtual attributes -
> we're not actually tight on attribute space, and indefinite
> expansion of RADIUS makes no sense to me.  Unless RADIUS
> remains forever much less complex than Diameter, it loses its
> justification for continued use.

Well, this is up to the protocol designers and should not be a choice
mandated by a poor design of a capability attribute.

So in the case of prepaid (outside the IETF) there were discussions and it
was decided that some prepaid clients would have different capabilities.

As for
> command support, I might do that with virtual attributes -

That would be  a hack.  So why are we doing work arounds.  Lets do it right.

> we're not actually tight on attribute space, and indefinite
> expansion of RADIUS makes no sense to me.

Well I think we are tight on attributes. RADIUS Digest is adding more then a
dozen attributes. There is another draft that we are wokring on that would
add more then a dozen attributes.

So why comeup with something that is intorducing limits.

> Indefinite
> expansion of RADIUS makes no sense to me.

Lets not go there.