Re: Reply-Message/EAP-Message attributes in RFC-3576

Bernard,

Thanks for the response. Please see comments inline.

Bernard Aboba wrote:

> > i) Can somebody educate me how are these attributes used. I'm wondering
> > how these messages are delivered to the user.
>
> They are there to allow the server to send a displayable message.  For
> example, a CoA-Request with an EAP-Message/Notification-Request stating
> "You have now been authorized for the Foo Service."
>
> How they are delivered to the user depends on the type of access they
> have.  If the client supports EAP, they can be sent as an
> EAP-Message/Notification-Request;  otherwise a Reply-Message attribute
> might be used.

Got the point. How can  the user request a service?

> > ii) Why is that Reply-Message not there in ACK messages where as the
> > EAP-Message can be there in ACKs as well.
>
> An EAP-Message attribute may be present in ACK messages so that an
> EAP-Message/Notification-Response can be sent back to the server,
> acknowledging receipt.
>
> There is no equivalent acknowledgement defined for a Reply-Message.

If no equivalent acknowledgement for Reply-Message, doesn't that mean user
cannot confirm the service. Is that acceptable behavior? Also Do these
attributes make sense in Disconnect requests? I suppose that saying "you are
now being logged off" doesn't make sense. May be, that the ISP can display a
message "Your service is over. Talk to customer care over the phone" does
make sense.

Thanks a lot,
Nagi.