From: owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-radiusext@ops.ietf.org]
On Behalf Of nagi reddy jonnala
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:58 AM
To: Nelson, David; radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: QoS attributes

David & All,

1) Yes, Attribute space is limited:

   I believe everybody thinks the attribute space is precious and I
think the reasonable proposals are  questioned based on this reason not
because of their merits/de-merits.

If the attribute space is not precious, then why is that the draft
dealing with LAN and WLAN specific attributes are not standardized. I
think the reason is VSA provide subtypes and this draft wants to
introduce handful of

attributes which we don't have space.  Right?

2)  QoS attributes:

    Even I don't believe in adding the all the QoS attributes under the
sun. At the sametime, I see a possibility for the need to change the QoS
attributes dynamically and it doesn't take much effort to standardize
them if we have some way to group them in one attribute.

3) Why should we handle QoS attributes in Radius:

It is a matter of choice and flexibility provided. For example, when I
watch a French movie DVD, I would like to see English subtitles. I can
switch on the subtitles using my remote  and the english menu is
provided by the DVD player (or) I can select an option in the movie menu
provided by

the particular movie DVD.  I like this option because I don't understand
French movie menu.

It is upto the Vendors to choose if they support this way handling the
QoS attributes or not. My argument is that why does the standard body
put the restriction?

Regards
Nagi