Re: Why RADIUS-EXT BOF???

Unfortunately, neither Bernard's reply nor any of the discussion of
which I'm aware actually answers the question posed, which is
(paraphrased but correctly) "Why is the IETF (IESG) apparently
intentionally working to delay the deployment of Diameter?".  To say
that 'Well, people were working on RADIUS' w/o discussing the reasons
behind that work is just blowing smoke.  Having been involved in the
work of at least a couple of the SDOs/trade organizations referred to
(3GPP2 & WECA), I know that the reason for the work being done was _not_
the magnificence of RADIUS but the interminable delays in the
standardization of Diameter.  Since those delays were largely due to
IESG actions (or lack thereof), we seem to be wandering a hall of
mirrors rather than in engaging in honest inquiry.

Of course, it COULD also have something to do with the fact that we (tthe set of people currently running RADIUS) have several hundred million subscribers being happily authenticated using RADIUS systems that are stably deployed and mostly payed for, and are hesitant to throw out known working systems and replace them with new, untried, and expensive systems just to gain the dubious advantage of authenticating users of a new access protocol that may or may not take off.

Or it could just be that we're confused by the excessively long sentences I spew out.

Yes, DIAMETER will eventually be used in many of these roles, but it will come in as a part of new deployments, and won't displace existing RADIUS systems for several years after its availability. In the meantime, there are requests to authenticate.

--
Dean