RE: Open issues on PSAMP framework

Juergen,

Here is a list of the major open issues raised in the messages that you
referenced, plus proposals for their resolution. In some cases
alternative resolutions are proposed.

I encourage mailing list participant to send comments to the list so
that we can converge.

A number of smaller stylistic issues raised are not listed, but will be
taken into account in the revision.

Nick

---

FW-0: Document type.
The AD and WG Chairs have agreed that the framework document will be
informational.  RESOLVED

FW-1: References to other PSAMP documents.
Proposal: Include a section describing the role of the other wg
documents. Use more informative labels for references:  [PSAMP-PROTO]
protocol document, [PSAMP-MIB] MIB document, [PSAMP-TECH] sampling
techniques, [PSAMP-INFO] information model document.

Question: can the other PSAMP drafts be included as normative references
while they are yet to be completed?

FW-2: Terminology section.
Proposal: arrange items in alphabetic order. Use initial upper cases for
terms.

FW-3: Requirements.
Proposal: emphasize high level generic requirements (current Section 3)
vs. detailed requirements (following sections). Because document is
informational, use lower cast must, should and may.

FW-4: Architecture.
Proposal: separate out a new architecture section. (The current section
2 attempts too much by describing architecture by means of the
terminology list). Arrange architecture diagram on a single page.
Include new diagrams of components of measurement process.

FW-5: Packet selection terminology (Sec 4.1).
The normative selection terminology reference for PSAMP will be
[PSAMP-TECH]. Some, but not all, terms from [PSAMP-TECH] are used in the
framework draft.
Alternative Proposals:
. FW-5a: Duplicate all terminology from [PSAMP-TECH]
. FW-5b: Duplicate only those terms used in the framework document
. FW-5c: Duplicate no terms and refer to [PSAMP-TECH] for definitions

FW-6: Packet Selection Operations (Sec 4.2)
The normative selection operation reference for PSAMP will be
[PSAMP-TECH]. Operations defined in [PSAMP-TECH] are also summarized in
the framework draft.
Proposal: retain current summary descriptions of selection operations.
Omit material from 4.2 on applications of hash based sampling; this now
occurs in [PSAMP-TECH].

FW-7: Packet Report and Packet Interpretation.

While PSAMP will use IPFIX, the PSAMP terms (packet report and packet
interpretation) are not used in IPFIX. But the meaning appears
compatible with IPFIX (see Major Point 9 in
https://psg.com/lists/psamp/psamp.2004/msg00024.html )

Alternate Proposals:
FW-7a: retain psamp terminology, add section on correspondence with
IPFIX
FW-7b: omit psamp terminology and convert to IPFIX. This is probably
best long term. But would slow down convergence of the document since
(i) it would be a major change, and (ii) IPFIX is still in flux.

FW-8: Transport Protocol.
Proposal: Section 7 to undergo major updates to reflect (i) choice of
IPFIX for PSAMP; (ii) apparent compatibility of IPFIX export protocol
choices (see
http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2377.html) with psamp requirements.
Section 7.7 on collector based rate reconfiguration will be omitted.

Question: is SCTP-PR a MUST in IPFIX?

FW-9: Proposal: Omit Section 4.6

FW-10: Packet reports. Proposal: definition in Section 2 to be modified
to include e.q. sequence numbers.

FW-11: Input sequence numbers.
Proposal: include input sequence numbers for each selector in a
composite.

FW-12: Selection State.
Proposal: selection state to be associated with a packet (e.g. for
reporting) is post-processing of the packet.

FW-13: Style.
Proposal: Streamline document to retain basic motivation while pruning
longer justifications (e.g. Section 10) .

FW-14: PSAMP device.