psamp vocabulary

>>I wish the results as you define them were all that mattered.  But in
>>a world of multi-vendor interoperability.  It so much easier to verify
>>that the report streams coming from two different vendor's boxes are
>>identical between different vender's boxes than the final analysis
>>being similar.  Indeed, vendor differentiation may well be in the
>>report analysis.
>
>How realistic is it that two separate devices, see the exact traffic,
>and had their psamp module initialized at exactly the same time? It
>seems to me that this can happen only if they are on the same link, or
>if the link is lossy, on the same end of the same link (and at least one
>of them has to be passive then).

oops, sry.  I was refering to conformance testing of the sampling
implementation.  Where a knonw traffic stream is fed to two different
sampling systems and should the report streams generated from both
be identical, its easy to say they are compatible. (not necessarily
conforming however... )

Its always nice to make standards that are easy to verify and test.

				Rae McLellan