Re: Terminology harmonization: a proposal

> <snip>
> > n4) Another example of a filtering function could be taking the source
> > and/or destination address, lookup the source/destination AS and filter
> > on the basis of the result. While such a complex filtering function
> > doesn't  make sense at the line rate, it may make sense if a sampler is
> > placed in front of a filter to reduce the rate of packets to be
> > processed. In this respect, the text appearing in Nick's draft at the
> > bottom of 3.2 reported below (unavailability of router state to
> > measurement primitives) should be reconsidered.
> >
> >    "In order to be able to function at line rates, each measurement
> >    primitive take as its input only a packet itself, or quantities
> >    that have been calculated from the packet previously by other
> >    measurement primitives. Router state is not assumed to be available
> >    to the measurement primitives."
> >

> Yes, I have been wondering whether this should be reworked after Peram
> brought up this point a little while ago.
>
> The reason for excluding router state from the primitive operations
> was arhictectural: we didn't want to assume that the routing state would
> be available to a filter that could be required to operate at line rate.
> (Any comments on this from implementors?)

I agree. At the same time, you could also define some standard operations where
the state is available. For example, it is very easy to program a "filter" operation
on an invalid route and export it to collector. This is useful for a DOS type application.
I think such primitive operations can be classified as "may" instead of "must" so
that it doesnt burden existing hardware.

Peram