Re: Packet Selectors and Packet Information

Andy Bierman wrote:

> At 02:31 PM 8/16/2002 -0700, Ganesh Sadasivan wrote:
> >Hi Andy,
> >To me 1. .i.e packet selectors refers to the mechanisms of  measurements.
> >Like sampling 1 in 100 etc. This could be time-based, packet property based,
> >or a combination of these. Now the inputs to this measurement
> >may be one or a combination of fields described in b). For example the
> >measurement
> >mechanism could be  filtering in which say {ingress i/f, ipsrc} goes as input
> >and the operartion done is say mask & match a pattern against these inputs.
> >More inline ..
>
> Packet selectors are different than sampling algorithms, at least
> that is the operational model being proposed. These are pre-sample
> filters that potentially reduce the set of eligible packets for
> sampling from the set of all packets on an interface.  The sampling
> algorithm runs on this potentially reduced set of packets.

The above means a  a packet is subject to a set of pre-sampled selectors
followed by  a sampling algorithm. Isn't that too restrictive. The charter says:
"The focus of the WG will be to (i) specify a set of selection operations by
which packets are sampled "
The way I interpreted it is to specify a list of  selection operations eg.
filters, hash functions or sampling (as it is used today)  to pick the packets.
.i.e the packet is subject to one or more of the list of selection
operations.
Thanks
Ganesh