RE: passive packet measurement

Nick,

At the very least I would expect psamp and ipfix to be very inter-twined.
We (cisco) view ipfix as a flexible format for exporting all types of real
time packet data from the box.  This could include flow based export as well
as data generated from the type of framework you provide in your draft.

To be useful it seems to me that the ipfix standard has to include export of
configuration information to the collector.  This could be as simple as
sampling rate, or could get fancier to include state like what filter etc.
was configured for this
export stream of data (in the context of your frame work).  How much
configuration state ipfix should include is a topic of on-going discussion.

The use of the psamp framework for on-board applications I agree is
completely independent of ipfix.

Will Eatherton
cisco

Nick wrote :
>I had an offline discussion that prompted me to clarify
>aims of psamp as compared with ipfix. Here's what I sent
>round to a few people as a result:
>
>  The aim is to standardize a set of basic passive packet measurement
>  operations for routers. We position these capabilities as suppliers
>  of measurements to higher level "customers". These customers could
>  be on-board applications (e.g. IP traceback, or constructing packet
>  delay statistics) or exported off-board to measurement-based network
>  management applications (e.g. for routine monitoring, or targeted
>  monitoring for intrusion detection). For some applications, the
>ability
>  to have low latency between packet measurement and reporting will be
>  particularly useful.
>
>  We view passive packet measurement as complementary to flow-based
>  approaches, which offer a compressed summary of packet trains that
>  is particularly useful for reporting network usage.

Nick