RE: Control Plane Security of ISP Network

My two cents:

There are several techniques that can be used with your igp and/or MPLS
to isolate your network devices such that they cannot be reached from
the outside of the network.  This is not technically separation of
management/control plane from the user/data plane, but it eliminates of
threats directed at the infrastructure devices themselves.  The real
threat at this point is attacks through the devices that saturate a 10G
or 40G link.  I'm not sure what the solution is there, but I think we
need to be careful that we don't "break IP" by moving management/control
OOB.

As far as protecting routing updates, there are two main attack vectors:
attacks against the channel itself and corrupt data within the channel.
If we implement things like GTSM and MD5, the channel itself can be made
99.9% secure.  To ensure the integrity and validity of the data itself,
we'll need to look at something like SoBGP.

Ryan McDowell
Cisco Systems
PGP Fingerprint: EED9 192F 9F45 FAE4 F6A3 8764 FEE1 299D 1B62 A361