Re: Is UML an option for the IETF?

Walter, Avri and others:

1. A combination of text and UML graphics would be a practical
solution, keeping in mind that the "official" version would be the
text and possibly a few simplified "ascii art" representations.
There'ss ample opportunity to refer to outside sources in the primary
documents.

2. As a demo of combined text and graphics, perhaps we could list a
few classes rooted at or near the root, and descend the tree just a
few levels. Something like:

* services (management and end-user oriented)

* sessions, calls, and other temporal activations/groupings of the
services, and the network resources that support them

* hosts, routers, switches, transmission systems, and structured
cabling elements

* tables and other information resources in intermediate systems,
including mappings of interfaces and addresses ("atomic statements"),
and protocols ("non-atomic formulas" and "rules of inference") -- this
analysis could go one step further into a logical model of
routers/switches as first-order theories, but a straightforward
description of the functions and functional groupings would do the job
at this point in time.

* protocols in general

* the computing/communications environment for defining, storing and
executing the obejcts

3. The last category, protocol, would be an appropriate topic, seeing
as how one of the defining characteristics of the Internet is that it
is protocol driven. what is a protocol? Any object or class, not only
protocols but other Internet objects, can be modeled on three levels,
although we should probably work on the surface (leave the deeper
levels to theoreticians for correctness and completeness proofs):

* practical, engineering analysis of protocol: a protocol consists of
functions (or functionality), formatted fields and messages (PDUs),
and finite-state machines that describe the behavior of the protocol
objects.

* mathematical, logical analysis of protcool: ala Mohamed Gouda's
_Elements of Network Protocol Design" (New York: Wiley, 1998), where a
protocol is defined as a network of processes, and processes are
defined as constants, inputs, variables and actions, and (I presume) a
network would be defined as a graph whose nodes are processes and arcs
are channels (ch.p.q == the channel from p to q).

* structural or theoretical analysis of protocol object: don't go
there (yet) ...

Specifically, how would you draw the classification tree for
protocols? What would be the PDUs and their fields, and the FSMs? In
regards to the functions, suppose for the sake of the discussion, that
you take the list of functions from section 10.3 of Stefan Boecking's
_Object-oriented Network Protocols_ (New York: Addison-Wesley, 2000):

- alignment
- blocking
- byte ordering
-checksumming
- concatenation
- connection control
- encapsulation
- encryption
- error detection/control
- forward error correction
- inactivity contrl
- jitter compensation,
- multiplexing
- (rate) flow control
- relaying
- routing
- segmentation
- signature
- splitting
- traffic control
- traffic padding
- traffic shaping,
- window flow control

Feel free to modify the list or use one that is more appropriate to
this context.

--  Cheers, TT
Tom Nelson Scott             Vedatel Co
1411 Sheffield Dr.           Bowling Green OH 43402
"In IP We Trust"   "Java Rules"   "E Pluribus Unix"