Re: NIM BOF Minutes

>>>>> Walter Weiss writes:

Walter> Here are the NIM BOF meeting minutes.

Great minutes. Many thanks to everybody who helped to write them.

Walter>         Scott Hahn: What is the correlation between SMIng and
Walter> XML.

Walter>         Juergen: XML can represent all of SMIng.  XML can be
Walter> used as a meta-language.

Some clarification: The SMIng syntax has been designed to be concise
and easy to learn and use by humans. In addition, we have defined an
XML DTD which can be used to exchange SMI definitions between computer
programs (applications). The XML DTD has been designed to simplify the
access to the information (e.g. by providing absolute OIDs) and is
rather terse compared to the SMIng syntax.

Many folks familiar with SNMP are already used to this. There are many
compilers that convert SMIv1/SMIv2 definitions into intermediate file
formats (the MOSY format is probably the best known format). Code
generators and other applications then read these intermediate files
in order to access the information they need. The XML DTD we have been
proposed is more or less the MOSY file format of the XML generation.

/js