From: owner-nim@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-nim@ops.ietf.org]On Behalf Of
Masum Hasan
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 1:01 AM
To: Andrea Westerinen
Cc: tscott@vedatel.com; case@snmp.com; nim@psg.com
Subject: Re: pointers

Andrea Westerinen wrote:

> I didn't see a reply to this, and wasn't in the terminal room.  But ...
> "Pointers" do make sense in an "info model" since there is no
implementation
> to point to/from/with/...  It is very reasonable and logical to "refer" to
> class or an instance.  If this is a "pointer," then I agree but would
highly
> recommend the word, "reference," to avoid confusion.
>
> Andrea

My 2 cents worth ...re. pointer vs. reference...

A reference is not necessarily a pointer. A pointer is a low
level construct that points to an address space directly,
whereas a reference may not necessarily. In C++, for example,
a reference is a constant (immutable)  pointer. Java has no
pointers, but primitive and reference types. In various OO
model a reference has been contrued as (a more abstract) OID.
A pointer, for example, is not transferable across process
(address space) boundaries, but a reference (OID) is, since it
is abstract.

In any case....