RE: NIM requirements/conventions (was Re: Methods in the NIM requ irements)

Juergen,

> Walter> It is quite clear that we will need a guidelines document
> Walter> here. Is there interest in the group for starting such a
> Walter> document?
>
> We obviously do not even agree on the requirements for NIM. So how is
> it then possible to write a guidelines document?

There are really two questions here. First can we discuss guidelines before
all the requirements have been fleshed out? My opinion is that everyone
seems to be fairly comfortable with the concept of methods, but not the
specific application of methods. This means that methods (and data) will
stay in the requirements doc. There are clear differences of opinion on the
degree to which methods should be used. Starting a guidelines document to
address this specific issue is a reasonable approach to developing consensus
(particularly since we will need to document this at some point anyway).
Surely we would want to expand the guidelines document later to include
broader modeling guidelines.

Your question also seems to imply that this question could be addressed at
some later point (say after a WG is formed). It is these types of issues
that determine the ultimate success of a WG. I, for one, would prefer to
resolve these issues to prove the viability of a WG and determine the degree
to which the various interests are willing to compromise.

regards,

-Walter