RE: Methods in the NIM requirements

Jon,

I believe you, Joel and David have summed up my concerns nicely.

1. I wanted to get a sense of how pervasive methods were to understand the
implications of the modeling language.

2. If it were pervasive, or at least of immediate necessity, I feel we would
want to beef up the requirements for methods to the same degree we have
fleshed out the requirements for attributes in the requirements spec.

3. It has not been clear to me, nor do I see concensus on, when methods
should be used and when attributes should be used. This is what I was
originally concerned with when this thread started (what I interpreted as
differing opinions on when to use each). This is still a significant issue
for me. From the example I posted yesterday, I have read and heard many
different opinions:

a: BandwidthAllocated is read/write
b: SetBandwidthAllocated ()
c: A generic container containing the value to be assigned and an Apply()
method.

4. Finally, I am concerned about how consistently the approach in (3) is
used. If there is concensus in principle on (3). There should be some
guidelines on when each should be used. This is specifically not part of the
requirements doc. However, early concensus will help determine how close we
all are and whether Juergen's prediction about a single model or yet another
model comes true. I for one certainly don't want to do yet another model. If
we can't or are unwilling to converge on these questions, we are almost
certainly doomed to failure.

regards,

-Walter