Re: Closing on NIM requirements

on 04/16/2000 5:49 PM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand at Harald@Alvestrand.no
wrote:

> there's a distinction between "effectively represent" and "represent" that
> I think is important.
> We may have to accept that when you try to manipulate a business inventory
> system through SNMP, there are things you just can't get at easily - or at
> all; see the recent discussions on managing configurations through SNMP,
> for instance.

Two points:

1. Unless there must be some other discussion I have missed with regard to
SNMP and configuration - I must have missed something. Perhaps you can
enlighten me, short of that I am not sure I buy your last sentence.

2. Different tools can be 'a good thing' as long as they are not attempting
to do effectively the same thing. This is a discussion many of us on this
list have had quite a lot and my point is not to restart it. My point is
that the modeling language should/must take into account mechanisms that are
going to be used to realize functions. If they are deficient you fix them,
replace them, or change the language.

/jon