Re: new revision: draft-ietf-netconf-tls-01.txt

Hi Eliot,

Thank you for the comments. Responses and comments in-line..

Eliot Lear a écrit :
Hi Bert & Mohamad,

I am not a radius expert, but I think you might have a radius problem. It would seem that either the identity & identity_hint discussed in the draft cannot be unique to a host OR the radius server must perform the transformations with appropriate identity & identity_hint passed along with the string presented by the client. Keeping in mind that OTPs should be supported, it seems likely that the radius server would have to do the support.

I see that RFC 4590 might be related work. It could be possible to propose a radius extension along similar lines. However, I am by no means a radius expert. Kaushik is, and David Nelson is, so I've CC'd them. While the extension itself might be out of scope for NETCONF and in fact might be more generally useful, not having such an extension leads us towards an SNMPv3 problem and a future ISMS analog. I don't think you have to gate this draft on that work, but the mandate that you hash the password is what causes the problem. SASL solves this with PLAIN, but some people complain that it is not bound well to TLS.

I am not a RADIUS expert too, and any reply from Kaushik Narayan, David Nelson and others is welcome.

I agree on the fact that the document doesn't make use of all existing password databases features. It only gives a way to generate a PSK from a password for NETCONF operating over TLS. While NETCONF relies on the transport layer for the user authentication, we are forced to provide a profile for using password within TLS "without" modifying TLS (note that there are some expired IDs that propose using OTP and passwords within TLS, e.g., draft-linn-otp-tls).

Regarding the transformations, I guess the exact encoding with RADIUS is implementation dependent. But I think RADIUS recommends UTF-8, (doesn't it?). If then it will be OK for the document when relying on RFC4279 (the PSK identity, identity hint, and password are converted to a character string, and then encoded to octets using UTF-8).

Regarding OTP and the other passwaord mechanisms, I can identify the following three options to move forward with the password authentication:

1. keep the proposed profile to derive a PSK from a password and store the PSK with the identity and the hint in the database.

2. use TLS for establishing a secure session with the server authentication and then implement a "RADIUS client" on the client (AVP attributes inside the established TLS session).

3. specify NETCONF over EAP (encapsulation) over TLS.

4. others?

Personally, I am for the 1st option.

Also, here are a few additional comments:

In that Section 3.3 Note 1, if you're going to say something is NOT secure, you should bound that statement and preferably provide a reference.

OK, I will insert RFC 4306 as reference.

In that same section, Note 2, and I realize this may be my poor reading of RFC 4279, I do not see how the form of the PSK resultant (ASCII or HEX) is specified.

RFC4279 section 5.1 gives the form of that. If this is not clear in the draft, what about inserting the following at the beginning of note 2: "The PSK identity, identity hint, and password MUST be first converted to a character string, and then encoded to octets using UTF-8 [UTF8]."

Above that point, the following statement requires further elaboration and the term "random" does not sit well on its own.

It is RECOMMENDED that implementations
   that allow the administrator to manually configure the password also
   provide functionality for generating a new random password, taking
   [RFC4086] into account.
While it's good that you cited RFC 4086, I doubt that Don Eastlake would use the term "random", but perhaps "pseudo random". All of this having been said, I believe you're a bit off the beaten path, and you could probably cut this text in its entirety.

I would prefer to keep RFC4086 as a reference and remove the 'random'.

HTH...

Eliot

Many thanks!
Best regards,