Re: [PEPPERMINT] potenntial charter for PEPPERMINT

Hi All,

I fully agree with Margaret that the choice of the technology needs
to be a group consensus.

Since IETF and IESG are always interested to use already existing
protocols if they are suitable to do the job I'm pretty much interested to
hear the concrete arguments why the gateway configuration cannot be
done with NETCONF over SOAP.

NETCONF is a suitable protocol for network element configuration and
configuration data exchange. NETCONF is also reliable and supports
notification and transaction mechanisms. BTW: NETCONF over SOAP
is not heavy-weight.

NETCONF is already available as a standard and has been implemented
many times. Already different companies are using it in their products.

You don't get all these functionalities for free. It takes usually many years
of hard work to develop the standard documents and get them stable based
on implementations.

This is the reason why IESG is usually keen of using already existing IETF
technologies instead of starting another overlapping work which takes years
to finalize.

So, please tell me, what are the hard-reasons for not using an existing
technology?

Cheers,
Mehmet Ersue