Re: action RPC I-D

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
In your 'restart' example, 'actionName' could just as well be
the actual RPC method name, and 'callingPoint' is really
just an RPC parameter, along with the entire 'parameters' sub-tree.
and
Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com> wrote:
I believe handling non-standard actions is easier if we define them
in the data model and not as separate operations. It particularly
helps intermediate SW to handle the actions. I agree with Andy that
the "end-user" of the action must always understand all new actions
whatever the form used to transfer them. However there may be, there
will be a number of intermediate SW blocks on the path.
I also agree that a data model effort should allow for operations to
be defined within the data model.  However, how this is mapped to
Netconf rpcs is a different question.  An operation could be mapped to
a generic <action> rpc, or to a new rpc for each action.

I agree with the "intermediate SW argument" though.
Why?
This seems like an implementation-specific detail to me.

Yes, since the argument is that it might be easier to
design/implement/envision intermediate SW components if the structure
of the rpc is well-known; I guess this argument can be rejected as
being an implementation issue.

Yes it is an implementation detail, as everything else. However by ensuring that a number of data items are present in any such new RPC/action, and ensuring that they are present as separate easily recognizable bits of data we make implementation a lot easier.
Imagine some RPCs carrying the calling-point in one place other in another place.
Balazs
--
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager