Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> The whole idea of fixed ports is broken.
> The Internet has a signalling layer, the DNS. Applications should use it.
> The SRV record provides an infinitely extensible mechanism for advertising
> ports.

And with what port would I reach this magical DNS that would provide the
SRV record for the DNS itself?

> Fixed ports do not work behind NAT. Anyone who wants to deploy IPv6 would be
> well advised to pay careful attention to that restriction. SRV ports work
> just fine behind a NAT.

Except that many NATs also intercept DNS requests and redirect them to
their own servers, for their own purposes, which can interfere with SRV
records (by design).

The only thing that works fine behind a NAT is what the NAT vendor wants
to work fine. Everything else is up for grabs.

Joe