Re: Netconf Event: Issue #1: To RCP or Not to RPC

David,
I believe it is rather difficult to guess what a management box will do upon receiving a notification. Some possibilities are: log it, some automatic action to clear an alarm, notify a GUI that some long running configuration operation is complete, just be happy that a heart beat event is received. So for me this is really just a notification and it is really up to the receiver what he wants to do with it.

Also for me it is important that the notifications are connected to the main part of netconf and can operate on the same managed data model, maybe refer to configuration RPC calls (e.g. to an edit-config), so the notification framework is much more then simply mapping to our protocol.

Balazs

David T. Perkins wrote:
HI,

To me, the term "Remote procedure call" means do something
on the "server". Thus, maybe all might find it easier
to take if it was
 <RPC-REQUEST>
   <LOG-EVENT-REPORT>
     /* data for the event report */
   </LOG-EVENT-REPORT>
 </RPC-REQUEST>

With this way of thinking, then you might then add
 <RPC-REQUEST>
<LOG-PERIODIC-SAMPLE> /* data for periodic sample that is sent by
        the managed node to a manager, based on
        a configured reporting system */
   </LOG-PERIODIC-SAMPLE>
 </RPC-REQUEST>

Now whether or not you always want a reply to the RPC-REQUEST,
that is a different issue. This issue exists for both
"SETs" and "ACTIONs", when the response returns "no data"
and indicates only that the request was successful.

I believe that you should always send an "applcation level"
indication that a request is success, and that the protocol
should allow multiple requests to be "in flight" upto a
configurable max (not unlimited). Thus, event reporting
and SETs and GETs will all look the same.