Slightly OT: what sort of data do you want?

Hi guys,

The following is the text from Section 3.2 of RFC 3535 as a summary of operator requirements:

   2.  It is necessary to make a clear distinction between configuration
       data, data that describes operational state and statistics.  Some
       devices make it very hard to determine which parameters were
       administratively configured and which were obtained via other
       mechanisms such as routing protocols.

I'd like to ask this question another way:

Take that routing case: there are numerous sources of routes, not just static. Let's look at an IP address on an interface. Is it sufficient to know that the address is gotten dynamically "somehow" or do you want to know how (i.e., DHCP or stateless address autoconfiguration ipv6wise)? It also seems to me that this is handled elsewhere in the existing data model using *AdminStatus, be it ifAdminStatus or some other AdminStatus as specified by the entity MIB and its derivitives.

Is this stuff best handled more closely tied to the data model in order to capture better semantics?

Eliot