From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de]
Sent: maandag 15 september 2003 17:36
To: lear@cisco.com
Cc: nm-ws@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: FW: FW: RFC3535 question/clarification

Elliot> Before we implement this way I would like to see an example of
Elliot> someone having done this, such that you could also produce a
Elliot> concise configuration file- a clear and crisp requirement we got
Elliot> from our world tour on this matter.

Elliot> To reiterate for Ran, the example given was something like a
Elliot> routing table.  Do you really want the static routes separated
Elliot> out when you retrieve a "configured" data?  So far as I know,
Elliot> nobody does this systemically today on that key.  We do have a
Elliot> "show ip rout static" command, but that matches other routing
Elliot> origins such as "show ip rout rip".

So you distinguish at an even finer granularity, right?

Elliot> The systemic separation has very broad architectural
Elliot> implications.  If you have specific operator examples of where
Elliot> this would be useful, I'd like to see them.

Item 3. in the section on "Operator Requirements" of RFC 3535 says:

:   3.  It is required to be able to fetch separately configuration data,
:       operational state data, and statistics from devices, and to be
:       able to compare these between devices.

And I recall discussions about "why it is painful to compare the real
configs" from the operators who attended the workshop. And my naive
assumption was that a device knows internally what got configured
manually and what not. But perhaps I was wrong...

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany