Re: I-D draft-weijing-netconf-interface-01.txt

"Chen, Weijing" writes:
>> The format element allows the application to retrieve the
>> configuration in the device's native text-based format. This allows
>> for archival, text-based diffing, human viewing and other applications
>> for which xml is not suitable.
>In the XML world, every XML content should have corresponding XML schema or
>DTD, even for plain text.  One can use the following to describe the plain
>text content:
><element name="text" type="string"/>.

Given that I've got code that generates text from the internal database and
that the application wants text, why would I want to go thru the process of
making sham xml that the application will have to decode and reconstruct?
Text configuration is very useful and I don't see the need for it disappearing
overnight.

>For device not
>matching the model, it either cannot re-use the protocol operation or
>results complex and ugly hacking.

Capabilities give a simple mechanism for extending the protocol to
match future (and existing) models.

Thanks,
 Phil