RE: Separation of protocol and information model

> These are basic facts about the operational model, not assumptions
> about the information model.  Only the running config is part of
> the base protocol.  All devices have a running config.  The other
> config types are added based on capabilities.

Whether it is running config, candidate config, startup config, they all are
part of device configuration setup.  It is device configuration-related.
Other than router, there are a lot of IP-capable devices: DSLAM, ATM switch,
DWDM, NG SONET, FTTP, Voice over X gateway, B-RAS, etc. does not have
concept of separate configuration.  They have one configuration.   The world
of router is larger, but not THE WORLD yet.

We surely see the function of capabilities in WG text to be able to describe
the permutation of device configuration option. But then where is the line
in the sand?  Why can't I use capabilities to describe my interface
configuration option?  Isn't that a part of the information model?  If the
configuration information is not information model, then what is the
information model?

--

Weijing Chen