From: Robert Moore [mailto:remoore@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 7:39 AM
To: Brendan Kelly
Cc: 'netconf@ops.ietf.org'; owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org; 'Phil Shafer'; 'Paul
Sangree'
Subject: RE: merge/replace selection criteria

> I believe the xxx:key="key" should be stated in the "enns" draft as
optional.
I think this would be a mistake.  Instance identification is a fundamental
part of any management protocol -- in fact, I can't think of anything that's
more fundamental.  You need to come up with *one* approach to identifying
instances that works for both managers and agents, and then state that it
MUST be used for instance identification.  A management application has
better things to do than implement several different instance-identification
schemes, and then consult a capabilities statement at runtime to decide
which one to use for a given agent.

Or have I misunderstood what's being proposed here?

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
WebSphere Advanced Design and Technology
WebSphere Platform System House
IBM Software Group
+1-919-254-4436
remoore@us.ibm.com