Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-weijing-netconf-interface-00.txt

Andy> The xmlconf draft describes user-defined rpc calls, which are
Andy> the same as 'exec' commands on some routers.  Is this what you
Andy> mean or something else?

I think user-defined rpc calls are sufficient.

Andy> Do you mean methods in the OO sense -- RPC-like exchanges which
Andy> can be specific to a particular data object?  (Rather than a
Andy> fixed set of high-level methods which are potentially applicable
Andy> to all data objects).

When I use the term "method", I assume that the rpc call is bound to
some data object in an OO sense. Introducing methods makes sense if
you plan to use an object-oriented data modeling approach. However,
XSD itself is as far as I understand it not OO and as such we just
need what I call "operations" (which I think is that same as your
user-defined rpc calls).

Regarding <draft-enns-xmlconf-spec-01.txt>, I am not sure to what
extend it intents to support user-defined rpc calls. Is the idea that
user-defined rpc calls? In that case, the suggested way in this draft
is to define user-defined operations by using the template in Appendix
A, which is informal in the sense that machines can't read them. (I
am not saying this is good or bad - I am just trying to understand.)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany