RE: Is beep really what operators would want?

Title: RE: Is beep really what operators would want?

Andy Bierman wrote:

> I don't think it is that fragile. I am seeing a lot of interest
> in an XML-based replacement for CLI scripting. The perceived
> success of netconf depends on one's expectations of its applicability.

I am still trying to figure out if my expectations align with the charter.

I have no understanding of what level of granularity the protocol will support when transferring information. How is that granularity specified?

For example can I just configure a single interface on a device? How about one attribute of a single interface? I do not want to be forced to retrieve lots of unrelated configuration information, change one small bit, and then send back the large chunk of information.

Any help on the intentions would be great. Even better it would be great to have some design discussions on this list from the authors. It would be nice to know at least what are considered to be the problem areas of the current draft and what the thoughts are for fixing those areas.

Regards, /gww