Relational, hierarchical and flat

To this point...

The xmlconf document says that "XML is ... [good for] encoding
hierarchical content" and goes on to say how xmlconf can be used with
XML but never says what type of content xmlconf is good at encoding.

Do we want to be good at accessing relational, hierarchical and flat
content?  or only one or two of these?

-Andrew