Re: Is beep really what operators would want?

Andy> This doesn't mean lots of agent code couldn't be better layered
Andy> -- it just means there are plenty of protocol specific details
Andy> that make the 'one piece of code' goal unrealistic.

I continue to believe that proper layering of access mechanisms on a
central resource manager is the correct approach - some access
mechanisms might be more troublesome, others less.

Andy> For some vendors, which have a large investment in CLI
Andy> configuration, netconf will be especially useful because it
Andy> aligns very well with CLI characteristics.  It has great
Andy> potential as a replacement for scripts that interact with the
Andy> CLI.

Many people in the smaller enterprises or ISPs I talk to love Cisco
boxes because they love the IOS because they love the CLI. Making
those people to fall in love with something new is not going to be
trivial (and from a vendor perspective also not too interesting).

Those who really experience the pain of CLIs are larger network
operators and these are after all the people we primarily managed to
talk to during the "ietf searches operators" world tour. Whether this
market is strong enough to force companies that perhaps make more
money with smaller enterprises or network operators to support xmlconf
just remains to be seen and certainly depends on many factors.

>> From my perspective, I think netconf is an important, interesting
>> and also very fragile project and serious contributors really need
>> to work closely together to make this whole thing a success.

Andy> I don't think it is that fragile. I am seeing a lot of interest
Andy> in an XML-based replacement for CLI scripting. The perceived
Andy> success of netconf depends on one's expectations of its
Andy> applicability.

See my comments above why I believe this is not going to be an easy
game. But I am more than happy to be proven wrong in this particular
case. Really.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany