Re: Is beep really what operators would want?

  Specifically, I'm not sure
that anyone could use the protocol without some minimal set of tools
(I'm sure a perl module would be easy to write for helping with the
communication requirements, of one doesn't exist yet).
I agree that BEEP would seem to exclude the cut-n-paste method of using xmlconf.

  Maybe the
simple-to-use-over-telnet type protocol requirement is obsolete?
If xmlconf is merely complimentary to a "human" CLI, then I see no requirement for a simple-to-use-over-telnet interaction requirement. However, I would guess that if (because?) it's easier/cheaper/a better value to implement xmlconf, new products will start to lack the human CLI. This would be unfortunate, as it would be tempting to try and use the protocol interactively. With BEEP client tools, perhaps it would even be possible.

At the same time, I recognize the many different data and data models that might be considered for xmlconf inclusion: machine config, human config, monitoring, binary file transfer, log data, accounting data, etc. The current draft includes machine config, monitoring, and log data. Of these, machine config is by far the most important to me, but I can see valid reasons for allowing all of these data types across the protocol. Perhaps it could be generic enough to support this? There are valid arguments why current protocols work for some of these solutions (machine config being the obvious sore thumb), though.

-Kevin