Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Glenn Waters wrote:
Larry Menten wrote:

With a transaction representation that allows the target of the operation
to be named explicitly, offers an delete and add operation with an error
return if the target does not exist, and the ability to group
sub-transactions
into an atomic operation, locking becomes optional for many management
tasks.

I want to make sure I understand your point. Are you saying that we need to
provide locking however it is up to the management station to choose if it
wants to use the locking?
My point was simply that the transaction spec described in the draft should be
revised.  I agree that locking is valuable for managing large systems.

--
Larry Menten               Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467        600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ  07974 USA