Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Eliot Lear wrote:

It wasn't meant to be hyperbole. A design that supports add/delete/replace/merge
and explicitly names the target of the operation does not require as much locking
to assure robust management as one that expresses transactions as overlay/replace/merge
and leaves it to the agent to determine what target was meant.

I agree with you to a point. If you can do granular locking then life is better. However, that requires two things: (a) a standard and (b) that each network element implement that standard. You're asking for a very high bar on implementations, particularly low end ones. On those low end implementations there truly is no need for granular locking.

I'm not asking for locking. I'm suggesting that we rework the approach so that locking
is less important.

Thanks,

Larry

--
Larry Menten Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA