Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Phil Shafer wrote:

Larry Menten writes:

The Enns model is one in which
configuration is expressed as the transformation of a document. This is why
you must lock the document before you operate on it.

Regardless of the configuration change you are making, locking the
device seems like a requirement. This seems independent of your
view of configuration-as-tree .vs. configuration-as-hierarchy
.vs. configuration-as-set-of-strings. If you can't lock it,
you can't prevent other sources of configuration (applications or
users) from turning your change from benign to dangerous.

I disagree. It should be safe to, for example, delete an OSPF interface instance
without having to lock the config to do so. The requirement for locking is an
artifact of the Enns representation and not inherent to the delete operation.

The Enns spec turns a benign change into a dangerous one. Just my point.

Thanks,
Phil

Thanks,
Larry

--
Larry Menten Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA