Re: Separation of configuration and control - good or bad?

Phil Shafer wrote:

Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:

I am talking about the filter
expression which you pass to get-config() to select what you are
retrieving.

I think Larry was talking about using xpath for more than that.
A snippet from his mail is attached.

We use XPath for both specifying the unique target of a add, delete, replace,
or merge operation and for specifying the possibley multi-valued target of a
get operation. XPath provides a standard XML representation that can efficiently be
used for unique naming. It also provides an extensible representation
for selecting multiple items for such operations as "get". I would make
the unique naming XPath subset manditory and full XPath support optional
for large systems that can support a full XPath implementation.

Thanks,
Phil

<transaction id="29">
<deleteRequest opId="2" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf/area[@id='0']" />
<deleteRequest opId="1" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf/area[@id='3']" />
<addRequest opId="3" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf">
<area id="4">
<interface id="ge-2/2">
<authentication-key>
<keyname>gargoyle</keyname>
<key-id>3</key-id>
</authentication-key>
<metric>1</metric>
<hello-interval>10</hello-interval>
<dead-interval>40</dead-interval>
<retransmit-interval>10</retransmit-interval>
<transit-delay>5</transit-delay>
</interface>
</area>
</addRequest>
<addRequest opId="4" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf/area[@id='2']/interface[@
id='ge-1/5']">
<dead-interval>40</dead-interval>
</addRequest>
<addRequest opId="5" select="/root/configuration/protocol/is-is">
<area id="5"></area>
</addRequest>
<addRequest opId="6" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf/area[@id='1']">
<label-switched-path id="to-SFO">
<metric>15</metric>
</label-switched-path>
</addRequest>
<replaceRequest opId="7" select="/root/configuration/protocol/ospf/area[@id='6']/label-s
witched-path[@id='to-SFO']">
<metric>20</metric>
</replaceRequest>
</transaction>

Larry

--
Larry Menten Lucent Technologies/Bell Laboratories
Phone: 908 582-4467 600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA